Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mulberry Ice Cream

Ice cream is exquisite. What a pity it isn't illegal. Voltaire


The mulberries plucked from the tree back in Spring were still sitting frozen, unused. Indecision about whether to make jam, cordial, a dessert syrup or some other delightful delicacy from my most treasured harvest had me at a standstill on using them at all.

On the 1 January 2011 I made my favourite choc-chip biscuit recipe which calls for a few tablespoons of condensed milk. That gave me an almost an entire can of condensed milk leftovers which I needed to use up.

A friend had made home-made ice cream for her New Years party using condensed milk so I hunted down a recipe (www.taste.com.au forums), girded my loins and went in for an adventure in ice cream making.




Mulberry Ice Cream

400ml condensed milk
300ml thickened cream
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs separated
1kg mulberries, stalks removed.

Beat the condensed milk, essence and egg yolks for roughly 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
Beat the egg whites in a seperate bowl until firm peaks can be made.
Beat the thickened cream in another bowl until thick.
Puree the mulberries.

Condensed milk mixture, mulberry puree, egg whites and whipped cream.

Fold the egg whites, thickened cream and mulberry puree into the condensed milk mixture. If desired, beat with a hand mixer for a few more minutes before putting in a suitable container for freezing.


Notes
  • handmade ice cream will be harder than machine made/store bought ice cream..... but just as tasty!
  • makes just short of 2L of ice-cream.


4 comments:

  1. Mmm. Brings back happy memories ... we always wanted seconds of Mum's home-made ice-cream (made with evaporated milk), but were never allowed it! This was in the days when ice-cream wasn't sold in the 2 litre tubs. (Did you know before plastic tubs, it was sold in 2 litre tins?) Occasionally, Mum bought those ice-cream slices that were served with 2 flat wafers, but that was a rare treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... If I lived closer you would not be able to keep me out of your house while you had this about!! yum yum!!

    I wish I had access to a mulberry tree. Maybe we should plant one... the closest we've had is the whole 2 blackberries from our bush... 1 each.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum - I can't imagine eating ice cream from a tin. Those ice cream slices aren't very popular anymore which is a shame.

    Metanoia - If you lived closer I'd let you have all the mulberries you wanted! I had so many and I didn't even harvest anything beyond arm's reach.

    Melissa - I couldn't remember your recipe for the condensed milk ice-cream so I found another. Your violet crumble stuff was a bit more creamy and less hard than my recipe though.

    ReplyDelete