Friday, January 14, 2011

Meet THE ENEMY

The ENEMY in my garden....

Is small and just the right shade of green to blend into leafy surroundings.
Has lots of legs all the better to jump away faster than the flash of a hand.
Eats all my basil and young-berry leaves. Also tomatoes... and Rockmelon. And carrot tops.
Is definitely hated by this gardener.
Possibly the devil in disguise.


I am trusting in the toads and spiders to do their work in an organic circle-of-life kind of way. I just wish they'd do it faster.

4 comments:

  1. We were lucky. My Abby-cat took a liking to playing with grasshoppers and killing them. Cleared out our problem a long time ago. Now we only get the occasional one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to borrow your Abby-cat! My only other option is to use an organic pest control like neem oil. I'd rather not use anything if I can get away with it but my basil and loganberries are really suffering. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say Chickens are the answer... but these monsters seem to be too fast for chickens to catch unless they jump themselves into walls, water or spider webs. I've only seen my girls catch two, but I've seen them fail to catch many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Metanoia - I am curious - do you let your chickens roam near the vege patch or other garden areas. If so do they ever destroy plants? (I know they sat on your lavander.)

    ReplyDelete