Friday, January 14, 2011

Impatience

I planted alpine strawberry seeds a LONG time ago. It didn't take too long for little seedlings to germinate. I cheered them on, all the while thinking of the delightful, juicy, plump strawberries I would pluck from them once they had grown.

But that's the problem - they've never grown more than a few millimeters tall.

Today, while partaking in the joy that is shopping at Plants Plus in my local area (hooray for supporting small business!) I noticed some strawberry plants begging to be taken home for just $3.95.

So I caved because I'm sick of waiting for this...

(Do you think I have a future in hand modeling?
Keep an eye out for these fingernails in the next dishwashing detergent commercial!)


to turn into this...


I am trying to work out where I've gone wrong with my seedlings. I know I planted them in the correct season according to the packet. They were planted in coir (shredded coconut fibres) with no other soil or additives so perhaps there is a severe lack of nutrients. It could be that they require sun and I've kept them too shaded or perhaps the strawberry plant is just a slow grower.

I may try to transplant the weeny seedlings into a better, more nutrient filled soil tomorrow to see if this helps them along at all.

4 comments:

  1. I know seedlings are different, but what seems to boost the growth rate of my strawberries is a combination of seaweed solution or horse poo (liquid fertiliser) and a fertiliser high in potassium.

    The liquid fertiliser promotes leaf growth (and roots i THINK) but if you want bigger fruit or more flowers, the potassium fert is the go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the advice!

    After reading this I gave them a drink of seaweed solution. I think I've got chook-poo pellets so I might add those to the soil that I plan to replant them in, for the potassium.

    That seaweed solution is amazing stuff! I was talking to the store assistant at the shops yesterday and she was telling me about the effects it has on plants. You're right about it promoting root growth.

    Here's hoping all this helps my little strawberry seedling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and remember - when plants are small and seem to not be growing, think FEED!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got fruit for the first time. But its all slushy. Another strawberry growing told me, we've had to much rain. They do need sun. But too much will kill them.

    -Debbie James

    ReplyDelete