Sunday, January 23, 2011

Oh Brother!

A dear and generous friend loaned me her backup sewing machine a long time ago. I recently decided it was well overdue the point where I should return it to her so I found at last I had sufficient justification to go and buy a new one.

The overhead bulb - brighter than the room lighting.

It sews.
It sews fancy stitches.
It lets me create my own fancy stitch designs and save them in the onboard computer.
It cuts the threads for me when I'm finished.
It threads the needle for me.
It tells me if I'm running out of bobbin thread.
It automatically winds the bobbin thread.
It has three different alphabet stitches.
If I buy an extra foot, it will cut the fabric as it overcasts... just like an overlocker.
It has a speed throttle that can be changed during sewing.
It is portable and light.



But wait! There's more!

The Brother Innovis 900. My new favourite toy.

It has an embroidery unit which is attached to do embroidery and appliques.
It has 70 onboard designs and a card slot.
It also can hook up to a computer so any designs purchased online can be used.

The first completed project of the machine - a small tea-time tablecloth for a friend.
It completed this design in less than 10 min.

I love it. I love it goooood.

6 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! That looks awesome. I would love love love the bobbin warning feature! Can you also program your own designs via the computer??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Brother !!!! Do you get a set of steak knives with it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Metanoia - You can:

    a- combine a series of stitches to make your own custom sticth that you can save.

    b - using a plotting graph they provide you program your own custom stitch. (e.g. I can program a stitch that looks like a series of bunnies if I want.

    c- buy embroidery designs online and then upload them to the machine.

    d- if you want to shell out the big bucks you can buy software to allow you to design your own embroidery designs to upload to the machine. So far haven't found any software that I'm impressed with enough to want to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that sounds really good. Even the first three options give you heaps of possibilities. I would love to have a machine with option d one day. *wistful sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUPERSEWINGMACHINE! I want one of my own. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about being unable to stitch properly with this wonder!

    ReplyDelete