Saturday, January 2, 2010

O Take Your Canvas Bags to the Supermarket

My older sister, Kirsty, has recently introduced me to the comedian Tim Minchin. She and my sis in law, Nikki, were both surprised when I said I hadn't heard his song about canvas bags. Kirsty immediately set to loading it on Youtube while Nikki chuckled and told me that since hearing it she has never ever forgotten to take bags to the supermarket because as she's leaving the house this song pops into her head.

After watching it I understood. If you have a few free minutes you should check it out for yourself!



Now everytime I'm heading out to the car to go for groceries I'm singing this ultra catchy song and remembering to pack canvas bags like I never have before.

Not long ago I wrote a post about reducing disposables used in my household, aiming to never get a plastic bag from the supermarket again. A responding comment made by Metanoia struck home with me. She said that she still gets plastic bags from the supermarket when grocery shopping because she uses them for for her kitchen bin and if she didn't use them she'd only have to spend money buying bin liners which would no doubt be thicker and more damaging to the environment.

Since then I've been taking fabric bags when I remember, saying no to plastic bags for only a few items, buying the Coles biodegradable bags when I feel wealthy (39c each) BUT also occasionally accepting plastic bags at the checkout to use, as Metanoia does, for bin liners.

Today I discovered a new alternative for use as bin liners. Biodegradable plastic bags (in the bin liner section of the supermarket)! I could have squealed with delight upon seeing them but refrained. Now I have an enviro-friendly bin liner option and no need to bring home supermarket plastic bags ever again - provided Tim Minchin's ever catchy song reminds me each time to take my canvas bags to the supermarket...

*sings* Take your canvas bags, take your canvas bags. O take your canvas bags to the supermarket! Take your canvas bags......

No comments:

Post a Comment