Sunday, June 21, 2009

What I've been Doing (or Why I've Been So Quiet)

I know I haven't written in a while so thought it would be due time to write something - even if it's just a quick photo entry about what I've been doing and why it's been so darn quiet on here.

I bought a breadmaker which I've put through it's paces a few times - both making bread and pizza dough.


My newest niece was born. Shortly after, I put a deposit down for a very pretty little devon rex kitten. I played photographer for two friends at their wedding.


I bought some basil, thyme and English spinach plants from the inner-city Wednesday markets. The basil showed some signs of water stress until I put it out of the direct sun.


The thyme is thriving beautifully in full sun. The English spinach can't make up it's mind of whether it wants sun or shade... but I think all three badly need to be repotted. I'm constantly learning from my mistakes, so it seems. Not days after I bought these plants I read in a book that you should never buy potted plants which have roots growing out of their watering holes, something that is happening quite badly on two of these plants.


I had word from the breeder that the kitten I had chosen had died suddenly of a stroke or spider bite. I then caught the flu from Rhys. A miserable few days ensued.

While sick with the flu, Rhys cooked me a meal for the first time ever in our relationship. Granted it was only scrambled eggs, but it was a touching gesture from my boy who views the kitchen as foriegn territory which occasionally offers up tasty peace offerings to him. Then both Rhys and our best man Dan did the washing up for me while I was in fitful sleep. I could have cried for happiness when I woke up and realised they'd done it for me.

I've been continuing the long process of knitting a lap blanket and teaching myself new stitches. I'm up to the second 'stripe' of colour. The first stripe was pink in a plain knit. I'm doing the second, light grey stripe in a heavy rib stitch.


My little sister came for a visit from Sydney for her birthday. I was too sick with flu to go to her party or my elder sister's graduation party but did manage to take my little sister to the local markets on Sunday.

I've been learning to food plan before I go a-marketing... but that didn't stop me from getting too excited about the range of vegetables, leading me to buy some I don't actually need. Snow peas in the pod!


So that's a quick write up of everything I've been doing in the last few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. You've had some definite trials, Cat, haven't you? Although Rhys actually cooking AND washing up the dishes is a lovely silver lining to the cloudy days.

    My condolences on the Devon-Rex, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor kitty. Sadness. :(

    Very nice herbs though. There are some that I wish I could get to grow. Like corriander. I use so much and cannot get it to grow except where it suddenly sprouts up in the middle of the lawn or flower garden. Frustrating. But I will have to give you a rosemary plant next time I see you. Ours just keeps growing and sprouting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ken - Ah! You found my blog! \(^_^)/ It sure was nice to have Rhys look after me when I was sick. Usually it's the other way around.

    Mel - Did you want me to get you a heel of my lavender plant to swap? I can bring it on Sunday when I visit if you want?

    ReplyDelete