Friday, January 11, 2013

Swiss Bircher Muesli - Summer's Porridge!

Over a year ago I watched an episode of 'River Cottage - Everyday' all about breakfasts.  Hugh talked about making Swiss Muesli the way it was initially intended, soaked overnight so that it is soft and easy to digest in the morning.   His recipe is here on Channel4 Food's website. 

I was intrigued but didn't get the chance to try it at the time.
Fast foward over a year to find me sitting in Mileto's Cafe on Chapel Street in Melbourne, while on holiday.  (Incidentally I loved this small cafe which had a comfortable, country feel to both the decor as well as the menu). While pondering the breakfast options I spied Swiss bircher muesli and decided that it would be a good, healthy and hearty breakfast to keep me fed for a while.



Out came my meal and it was love at first sight.  I mixed the puree, apple, yogurt and museli together and tasted it.  Wonderful!  I think I actually thought the words "I want to eat this every morning for the rest of my life!"   But then... I can be a bit dramatic like that.

Fast forward a little to a few days before Christmas when my parents accepted my invitation to breakfast with myself and Mr R at our new home.  I thought about what I could cook for them that would be a new experience and not leave too much washing up.  Swiss bircher muesli came immediately to mind so I set about finding a recipe that suited.  I ended up using this recipe by Food 52 because the addition of flax seed (linseeds) interested me and because toasting the oats and flax seeds as called for makes it a step up on the special rankings.  And Christmas day is pretty special!

I made a very minor change to the recipe in that I changed the hazelnuts for pistachios and instead of whole almonds I used flaked almonds.   Because I didn't change the recipe that much, I'll leave you to check out the original recipe on the Food 52 website.

But the general gist of how it came together was that I toasted the oats and ground flax seed and also toasted the nuts seperately.  The juice, almond milk and oats/flaxseed mix were mixed together, covered and left in the fridge overnight so the oats would gently soak up the liquids.  In the morning it had a consistency like thick porridge.   The toasted nuts are then stirred through the mushy muesli.



The muesli is served up cold in a bowl, with grated apple, yogurt and perhaps some extra fancy thing like blueberries, extra nuts or a pureed fruit or low-sugar jam.   Stir together and eat! 



Leftover museli mixture can be returned to the fridge, covered, for the following morning.  I like to make a half batch of the Food 52 recipe which lasts me two mornings.

I've since remade the recipe with other changes, such as using grounded wattleseed in place of the cinnamon and using pear instead of the apple.    When you think about it, there are so many combinations of sweet spices and toppings that you could do with this wonderful, filling and healthy breakfast! I've also remade the recipe without toasting the oats and flaxseed.  Though it did lack the rich, nutty flavour that toasting brings, it was still pretty tasty and a good alternative when you don't have time for fiddly toasting the night before.

If you make swiss bircher muesli, I'd love to see a pic, or hear how it went and if you enjoyed it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment