Saturday, January 5, 2013

A New Home and New Plans

Why hello there!

I've been reminded about how long it's been since I wrote here.

And I have a new house (still renting) and new plans.

My husband and I were tired of spending so much money, time and energy on commuting to work (roughly 45-55 minutes each way by car and a minimum of a 20 minute car ride to the nearest train station.)  Mr R pointed out to me that the money we were spending on fuel, parking, wear and tear on the car, more regular services, higher insurance and use of the new Clem 7 tunnel could be put into paying higher rent for a place nearer the city.   Somewhere we could walk to work.

So we looked and looked and eventually the perfect house fell in our laps.

As of 3 days before Christmas last year (2012) we moved into a 1870s worker's cottage within a 30 minute walk to work for both of us.   The house is renovated but only in ways that retain the charm of the old building - so there are still charming old worlde elements around, like a double-shute fireplace, stained glass windows, old style light switches and sash windows.



I have moved the chicken mansion with us and have permission to get chooks.  So that's on the cards.


The garden I have inherited already has a small herb garden with mint, oregano and basil in it.  I hope to add more herbs and create another garden upstairs on the wide verandah, just outside my kitchen window for easy pickings.


Also in the garden are 3 banana trees, still young, a few cherry tomato bushes, a cucumber vine, some beans and a pumpkin vine.  I hope to add more veges to that list and add some companion plants and beneficial insect attractors.


The soil here is terrible and water drains straight down.  The previous tenants were trying to improve and build up the soil by mulching and keeping two chickens over the garden area.   I hope to work towards this goal as well.


My worm farm is going to be set up anew with a fresh batch of worms.  Between them and the chickens, most of my food scraps will be covered.

So- captured in a list, here are my goals in my new home:

1) Walk or cycle to work.  During drastic weather (major storms) use public transport.
2)  Set up the chicken run and get 3-4 chickens.
3)  Develop the existing herb garden
4)  Create a mini herb garden outside the kitchen sash-window on the verandah.
5)  Plant more vegetables.
6)  Build the soil quality on the property.
7)  Set up the worm farm and keep the worms fed and alive.
8)  Get back to meal planning again
9)  Get back to cooking meals again and return to wholefood cooking.
10) Get back to producing ingredients at home (eg. bread, herbs, eggs, veges, mayonnaise *wink*)


I hope you've all been prosperous in 2012 and have some exciting goals and projects to look forward to in 2013!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I was wondering how your househunting was going. Glad to hear you are still able to keep the chooks and do your veg gardening in the new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! I was over the moon when I discovered that both my cats and chickens were allowed at the new house!

      I'm much, much closer to the city and where you live now so I'll have to invite you over for a cup of tea and some garden perusal.. ;)

      Delete