Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Patience Paid-Off

One thing I have gleaned about gardening is that it requires a bit of patience, especially if you grow things from seed as I have been doing.

There is no instant gratification for the work and care you've given and often the 'slings and arrows of fortune' take away the prize leaving you miserably staring at a dead plant.

"Sometimes you break absolutely everything - your back, your heart, your nails. The whole experience hurts. This is not the Summer I signed up for."
Alys Fowler (on a storm which demolishes her garden)- The Edible Garden.

The hope of every gardener is that the fruits of their labor (literally and figuratively!) and the patience of waiting for germination, growth and then flowering/fruiting will pay off.

This week in losing one zucchini to the constant soggy weather in the last week (bad mould spores on both sides of the leaves) I have felt more keenly the satisfaction in and blessing of those things that have gone right.

Like my cornflowers (aka bachelor's buttons).

I planted the seeds back in late April, in seedling trays which sat on my kitchen bench. Each morning I watered and observed and marvelled as they sprouted out of the ground.

I then moved them to an area I thought they would be safe from kittens - ontop of the washing machine. But I found one morning that Fuu had yanked a number of them up, not to eat but rather just for fun.

So I moved the remaining fellows into my sewing room only to have Willow knock the tray onto the ground when I was lax at closing the door. With less than half of my seedlings left, I moved the tray outside, only to lose another half of that lot to sudden changes of temperature and sun.

There were 6 seedlings left. I planted three with the oregano in the back yard and the other three in the front garden.

Then I watered.

And waited.

And watched.

And waited.

And eventually I was rewarded with the gorgeous, delicate blossoms in the vivacious blue known as cornflower blue.

First one....



Then a few and now a great number at once. They are so beautiful I cannot resist photographing them over and over.


For the last three months I have had cornflowers gracing my garden and I am thankful.

1 comment: