Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Bring on the Soup Weather!

Here in Brisbane the cooler weather has set in, bringing with it the perfectly clear, blue skies that seem to reach forever. When I lived in Japan I couldn't hack the Northern Hemisphere Winter for loss of those blue Winter skies I longed for back home.

Winter doesn't hit us hard in sub-tropical Queensland. There's maybe three or four weeks of rug-up-wear-your-coat weather but the rest of Winter is not so bad.

However, being the cold-frog that I am I enjoy snuggling into blankies, wearing flannel PJs and eating nice hot soup when this time of the year comes on.

So here is the soup I made last night!

Cauliflower, Leek and Capsicum Soup

1 tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp ginger crushed
1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 capsicum (I used red), chopped roughly
1 leek - trimmed and sliced
1.5L (6 cups) chicken stock
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1- 2 pinches dried dill

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add garlic, ginger and leek, stirring until leek is tender. Add cauliflower and capsicum and stir over heat for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, cumin powder and dill. Bring to the boil and simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Puree the soup in batches. Deliciously served with crusty bread and a sprinkling of grated cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment