Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rice Pudding!

'What is the matter with Mary Jane?
She's crying with all her might and main,
And she won't eat her dinner - rice pudding again -

What
is the matter with Mary Jane?

What
is the matter with Mary Jane?
I've promised her dolls and a daisy-chain,
And a book about animals - all in vain -
What
is the matter with Mary Jane? ...

What
is the matter with Mary Jane?
She's perfectly well and she h
asn't a pain,
And it's
lovely rice pudding for dinner again!
What
is the matter with Mary Jane?'

A.A. Milne

Tonight it seems my brain and tummy had a hankering for rice that was not satisfied by the risotto I had reheated for dinner. After finishing a letter to post off to a friend I found myself putting a saucepan on the stove to make rice pudding for dessert.

Rice pudding is something I associate with my childhood when Mum or Grandma would make it for a Winter dessert and serve it piping hot. Perhaps it's the cool weather falling over Brisbane that made me want to try making it, admittedly for the first time. Then again, it might have been an excuse to make something with the rhubarb I bought at the markets last weekend! I've never cooked anything with rhubarb. Infact I've never eaten rhubarb at all!


Creamed Rice Pudding

(serves 3 -4 )
  • 2.5 litres milk
  • 1/4 cup castor sugar
  • 2tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 cup white rice (I used long grain)
Combine milk, sugar and essence in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring, over medium heat.
Gradually add rice, stirring. Reduce heat to low and over with a tight fitting lid. Simmer over low heat for 25 minutes stirring occasionally.



Mushy Rhubarb

  • 3 sticks of rhubarb
  • 1/4 cup castor sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp cornflour mixed in 2 tbs water.
Put rhubarb, sugar and juice in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat for 5 or so minutes until rhubarb has gone tender. Add the combined cornflour and water and stir through. Remove from heat and serve over ice cream, rice pudding, in a crumble, on waffles.... so many tasty uses!

For a first attempt at rice pudding it was very satisfying and as I sat eating it at the kitchen table in my flanellette PJs I felt like a kid again. I almost looked over my shoulder, expecting Mum to be there, scolding me for not wearing slippers on the chilly floor...

As for the rhubarb, I really enjoyed the flavour, especially mixed with the tartness of the lemon juice. I felt concerned at first that the sugar and small amount of lemon juice would burn or turn to toffee at the bottom of the pan but the rhubarb seemed to shed water as it cooked, especially when I turned the heat up to medium. I'll definitely be buying rhubarb again!

2 comments:

  1. You know, when I make rice pudding I pop in an egg. I make it from memory of my Mums rice pudding which is cooked rice, then stir through an egg and add milk and sugar to taste. Keep cooking on low until the milk is absorbed, then add a splash more milk when serving. I don't have any measurements for you though because it is all done by taste and memory.

    For nearly everything now I also substitute any type of sugar (except brown) for raw sugar because it's not as refined. I haven't cooked anything that I have found wasn't as good, though there may be some things that need caster suger for texture that I haven't discovered yet.

    Also, I don't use the corn flour or lemon juice in rhubarb... I just bung it in a little water and add sugar to taste. I wouldn't know what the difference is. I should prehaps try it your way next time and see. Rhubarb with custard is one of my favourite winter desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother always used to make rhubarb pies and my other made rhubarb jam and jelly (lovely on toast). You would probably like strawberry-rhubarb pie. There are lots of good recipes for that on the 'net.... :)

    ReplyDelete