Sunday, September 15, 2013

Starting small again

I started doing things in my garden again.  Hooray!  I have my close friend Melissa Loh to thank for getting me inspired again.  She has only a tiny apartment balcony to grow on but has been harvesting a few things despite the space limitations.


I planted basil, chives, thyme and marigolds in my herb garden.


I admired the tenacity of the cherry tomato plants which just keep popping up everywhere in our yard/lawn courtesy of the previous tenants.


But just when I began to feel a sense of achievement and self-satisfaction with the beginnings of my garden... disaster came in the form of a local bush turkey.


That poor basil didn't have a chance.  A few of my marigolds were entirely yanked up out of the earth, root ball and all.   It appears that the cherry tomatoes are also all too tempting to Monsieur Turkey.  (Perhaps some resident possums may also have something to do with that particular crime as well.)

Another setback came my way also.  I planted seeds - a LOT of seeds - from my collection.  From catnip seeds to cosmos to three types of climbing beans. 

For weeks there was not any sign of life.  I put it down to a) seeds gone long beyond their viability date and b) really poor potting mix, the cheapest I could buy at Bunnings at 20L for $3, with no additional nutrient supplements.

But despite the worst possible start I could give them, a few broad beans (Diggers seeds) poked their heads out followed by a handful of 'mystery beans'. 


I planted out Purple King Beans, Butter Beans and plain green beans.  I have no idea which ones of the three sprouted into seedlings!  These little fellas grew up in the seedling pots locked away from Monsieur Turkey's domain. 

When I went to plant them out yesterday I decided they should go on the verandah upstairs to give them even a tiny hope of success.  Good luck little broad beans (pictured above) and mystery beans!


Do you have any wildlife in your garden that causes you grief?  

Other than netting everything, which I hate to do, does anyone have any suggestions on turkey control?

Unfortunately, Monsieur Turkey is a protected species in my local area so turkey death is not on the cards.

2 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed your beans do not meet an untimely end via bush turkey or possum! Maybe netting everything might be the way to go. And enjoy the tomatoes! Fresh homegrown tomatoes taste so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mel. I think I will have to resort to netting everything. I was hoping to avoid it because I prefer a garden which looks more natural with less visible intervention - however, in this case, where 'natural' appearances result in devoured plants and crops, I think I might have to just net and deal with it!

    ReplyDelete