Sunday, August 22, 2010

Getting back on the rails.

I haven't written much in this blog for a while now -but I did have good reason. I was busy getting married!

It is amazing how much your lifestyle can slip when you're gearing up for such a major event. My housecleaning went out the window. My diet became full of processed food, junk and cakes. I relied on packet meals for the first time in just over a year. My worm farm was ignored to the point of mass wormy-genecide. I bought lunches and take-out..... this is starting to sound like a confessional session!

Though the wedding was wonderful and memorable, my whole life and being sighed with relief when it was over. I could finally get my life back on-track and invest my time and money into the projects I had been hankering to start.

I've attacked my garden with great relish. Rhubarb, basil, peas and four types of diggers heirloom tomatos have all found a place in my garden. I discovered the joy of mulch and swooned over a diggers catalogue which unexpectedly came in the mail. The urge to plant MORE is sometimes overwhelming so I keep myself away from Bunnings except when I have a purpose!

This morning I discovered one of my little tomato plants had started to show fruit amongst the flowers. I was delighted and pointed it out to my kittens. They looked confused at my enthusiasm over nature doing it's thing.

On other fronts I've been trying to slow down and de-tech myself. Step one was to reduce the amount of time I waste on the xbox while focusing more on craft projects. I'm working on finishing a cross-stitchery by Mirabilia that I started back in 2005 when still living in Japan.

I've also been trying to get my eating habits back into line. Last night I baked biscuits, made bread and yogurt - all for lunches this week. Going to bed with the smell of baked bread lingering in the house is heart-warming!

One of the wedding gifts we received was a slow cooker. It is a sad shame that no one had a video camera handy when I ripped the wrapping paper off. I am sure the internet would have enjoyed watching me do the "OMG-I-got-a-slow-cooker-dance". I've used it twice now to make pea and ham soup and ratatouille. A few meals went in the fridge but the rest went in the freezer, ready to defrost and go.

My husband (I still get a kick from saying that!) surprised me by making an improptu decision to pick up some woodworking tools and fix our old broken couch. It was an experiment in woodworking and upholstery and he did very well! So an old couch got a new lease on life, we get some extra seating in the lounge room and my man got a mass of brownie points.

Getting back on the rails has been a whole lot more enjoyable than it sounds. Hopefully I can get some decent blogging of it off the ground soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment