Saturday, January 2, 2010

Product Review - Lush Solid Deoderant #2

Mid last year I was looking to replace my toiletries and what cosmetics I actually use with ones that were free of unecessary and possibly harmful chemicals.

I was happy when I found that the soaps and cosmetics company Lush made solid deoderants without any of the unwanted ingredients on my strike list. I bought a dried powder block deoderant to try out. I really wanted it to work out for me as I'm keen on Lush as a company with an environmental conscience, limited plastic packaging and low energy/handmade production of their goods.

Unfortunately, as I wrote in my review on this blog, the powder cube didn't agree with me. After a few weeks of using it I still received a burning sensation and redness in my armpits when using it.

So in desperation I tried again with another Lush product - the Aromaco solid deoderant. Like the powder cube, the Aromaco had none of the unwanted chemicals in it, it was a deoderant only and not an anti-perspirant and it came with the usual recycled paper packaging Lush uses. The solid deoderant bar feels like a firm soap and is applied like soap by rubbing it onto your skin. I usually add a touch of water to the bar before rubbing to help application.

It has now lasted me 6 months and I've still half a bar left. I'm impressed with how it has warded off body stink during the Winter and Spring months. Scented with a soft witch-hazel-meets-patchouli it is non-offensive to even fussy-pants Rhys. (Though he does turn his nose up at the block when I use it and calls it my "feral hippy deoderant").

Now we've reached Summer I'm starting to see a decline in the effectiveness of the deoderant block over a full day, especially when I have to walk through the humid Queensland heat at my typically fast pace. I'm planning to get a second bar to keep in a tin at work so hopefully I won't have to supplement it's use with something less ideal.

In short I'm incredibly happy with it as a product and am pleasantly surprised with how long the small block I bought has lasted me thus far. If you're interested in giving it a try but don't have a Lush store near you, you can always buy it and any other Lush product from their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment